wireless card connection

Donald Monroe contactme at donmonroe.com
Sun Dec 5 09:31:26 EST 2004

Mike,

I got 802.11 working on my laptop Dell 5150 w/ Broadcom 1350 mini PCI
running SuSE 9.1 Pro using ndiswrapper.  I am  new to the board so if
this has been covered, please let me know.

# modprobe ndiswrapper
# iwconfig wlan0 up
# iwconfig wlan0 mode Managed
# iwconfig wlan0 essid (whatever your essid is)
#dhcpcd wlan0

You should be in business unless I haven't fully awaken and have
mis-typed a command or two.  What distro are you running on your laptop?

Just a suggestion:  Gentoo has really good wireless detection.  In fact
it even picked up my wireless card even when running on Microsoft's
Virtual PC.  <GULP>  I am grinning like the cat that ate the canary
because I am sure I am gonna take some heat on that last statement.
;-)  My point to all this early morning rambling is that Gentoo installs
from a live CD.  You can put it in and see if it recognizes your card.
If it does then you may want to consider trying it.  The install is from
command line but don't let that scare you away.  It has some VERY NICE
features.  AND it has SSH off the live CD so if you did get stuck then
one of use could connect to your laptop and help out.
http://www.gentoo.org

I am going back to bed but will check my e-mail later today.  If you
need more help let me know.

Don Monroe