looking for advice

Stephen smile_stephen at cogeco.ca
Sun Aug 29 20:05:39 EDT 2004

Good day

Can you give me some advice I am receiving a new hard drive from work to
add linux to my home computer?

I currently telnet from a W2K system to five work linux systems at work
we shall use linux for all desktops some time next year to which disto
is unknown

My currant home system has two drives a 60gig and 20gig now I will add a
100gig to my P4 with 160meg ram

At home I many use W98, the work systems are using Red Hat 9.

I was thinking of setting up may drives as follows;

1 primary drive 100gig

1partition 2gig fat32 W98 operating system and boot drive
2partition 4gig fat32 W98 programs
3partition 4gig fat32 W98 my docs
4partition 35gig fat32 W98 work area
5partition 10gig ntfs W2k\XP work area
6partition 10gig ntfs W2k\XP work area
7partition 5gig ext2fs\ext3fs linux systems
8partition 10gig ext2fs\ext3fs linux
9partition 20gig ext2fs\ext3fs linux

1 secondary drive 20 gig

1partition 2gig fat32 W98 swap\virtual memory
2partition 4gig ntfs W2K\XP operating system
3partition 5gig ntfs programs
4partition 9gig ntfs files

2 primary drive 60gig

1partition 10gig fat32 back up drive
2partition 10gig fat32 back up drive
3partition 10gig ntfs back up drive
4partition 10gig ntfs back up drive
5partition 10gig ext2fs\ext3fs back up drive
6partition 10gig ext2fs\ext3fs back up drive

Question 1 is this a viable drive layout
Question 2 would you recommend Fedora
Question 3 what order would you recommend being loaded I was going to
put W98\W2K\linux
Question 4 would you use windows, lilo or grub for boot control
Question 5 W2K\XP will only be on for about a year and partitions will
be re formated for linux
Question 6 I do not know what I am doing with W98 as I have a large
number of W98 people I support on this format

Thank you for your comments
Stephen

--
Hamilton ON