Good distributions for testing Oracle on Linux

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Wed Aug 4 09:52:04 EDT 2004

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004, Dave Andruczyk wrote:

> --- Robert Meyer <meyer_rm at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I have a Sun E250 that we are going to be experimenting with
> > Linux/Oracle on.
> >
> > Which Linux distribution works the best with Sun Boxen and why?  The
> > 'why' part is important.  I especially need to have a version that
> > will work with Oracle 10g.
>
> Gentoo would work on it, though gentoo is not a "supported platform"
> byoracle, as for Oracle it requires specific versions of binutils to be
> installed, so you sometimes have to play games with fooling the
> installer.

The oracle binaries will not run on gentoo sparc linux. Sure, you probably
could wrestle x86 gentoo into running oracle without too much pain, but
gentoo for sparc will not do it.

> Gentoo runs great on my ultra 30/ultra 60.  BTW the U30 is for sale, asking
> $185.00 for it,  includes 384 megs of RAM, 4gb and 18gb SCSI disks, and an
> Elite3D frambuffer. (the good one)

Hmm. I know you've had this for sale for a while - is there anything
you're looking for that you'd consider trading for it? Justifying spending
$185 on something I know would only sit in the closet for a while is a
little difficult for me.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst