open source software in NY State Government

Andy Firman andy at firman.us
Tue Apr 27 09:55:58 EDT 2004

Recently I found out that there is a proposed legislative
bill regarding the use of open source software
in NY State government.  It has been sitting in committee for
almost 12 months and I feel it should be voted forward
to the general assembly.   Here is the bill:
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A08817

I wrote a letter to the chair of the governmental operations
committee, RoAnn Destito.  You can read it here:
http://www.nyopensource.org/NYSOpenSourceBill-Letter.pdf

Hopefully some others can write her as well to get this bill
out of the committee and moving forward.  This is her contact info:

Assemblymember RoAnn Destito
116th Assembly District
Chair, Committee on Governmental Operations
Legislative Office Building 621
Albany, NY 12248

Be sure to copy the sponsor of the bill:
cc:  Assemblymember David Koon
       135th Assembly District
       Legislative Office Building 643
       Albany, NY 12248

If anyone wants to help out with my project, the NY State Open
Source Initiative, http://www.nyopensource.org  please contact me.

Thanks,

Andy Firman
General Manager