apt-get

jb mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 23 08:57:19 EDT 2004

If anyone using Red Hat wants to try apt-get, the best place to acquire it is
at...
http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/
(I say Red Hat only due to what I'm using)
It has a nice selection of repositories unlike other sources of apt.
The new upgrade of synaptic is nice too, which brings me to my question.
When selecting repositories and versions of RH, would selecting RH 6.2 up to
9, which is what I'm using, be a good idea? I would imagine RH9 is backward
compatible to a high degree. I doubt there are many goodies to be had with
the older versions but I bet there are a few which RH dropped in later
versions? Has anyone tried this? I read that someone tried upgrading from RH9
to fedora core1 and it worked fine, although I think that stunt would be more
risky than looking for goodies in older versions. Any thoughts, experiences
or Ideas in this area would be appreciated,
THX
--
JB
http://www.mesimpleton.com