Computers for Sale

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Thu Apr 22 21:54:10 EDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, TheCactusKid Cactus wrote:

>  I have a small group of DEC Alphas for sale. Its a whole package deal
> for $50.00 . The group of systems contains the following: 1, 233MHz, 3,
> 166MHz with stands, drive tower (parts), two CR-Rom drive units, cables,
> Hard-drives, Misc Hardware, Loads of Software, all the Docs & Manuals
> you'd ever need.  Their in working order, but due to the nature of this
> type of equipment I am selling them as is! They sell for around $50 per
> unit on eBay! Here I'm selling 4 units for the price of one! Thanks for
> your interest. Thanks.

For those curious, I asked & found out these are Alpha Multias, also known
as Personal Desktop Boxes (PDBs). They are really neat looking little
boxes with PCMCIA slots. Most do not have much room for internal hard
drives, but can run off an external SCSI drive, can do a pcmcia laptop
drive (I *think*), and may even be able to net boot (I've net installed
onto one, so I'd assume they net boot too). They take regular PS/2 mice &
keyboards. They actually have two alpha proms - SRM and the other escapes
me at the moment. They will run GNU/Linux (mine runs Debian), all the BSDs
(I'm *fairly* sure), NT for Alpha 3.5, and fairly new versions of OpenVMS
(you should have the hobbiest license and will need to bend the box to
your will). These suckers do run hot though & it isn't uncommon to come
across them dead - but if you're looking for a fairly unique, 64 bit RISC
box that doesn't consume too much power & want to slap two 100 Mbit PCMCIA
cards in it, it would make a really nice FW/router. Did I mention they are
slower than molasses yet?

That said, mine's been sitting on the shelf for about two years:

http://www.valites.net/gallery/Offices/aan

(It's the box sitting vertically all the way to the right)

I can't bear to see them tossed - if no one else wants them, I'll feel
obligated to pick them up & add them to the stack of other unpowered
machines in the corner doing a good job holding the floor down...

And if both no one else and I can't get these for some reason, the place
to get rid of/pick up stuff like this is the sunrescue list: