Apache 2.0.40 error and does not run

S. Johnson zatharus at ncn.net
Mon Sep 29 12:30:17 EDT 2003

Hello,

I have a RedHat 8.0 system using the RPM version of Apache (httpd-2.0.40-11.7).
This server is connect via NFS to a fiber channel array where user
directories and site
information is stored.  Yesterday, when I restarted the server, the NFS
mounts were
not working correctly and Apache did not load because it could not read all
the site
information that was configured in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.  After
fixing the NFS problem
so that the server could read the NFS mounts again, I restarted Apache
again and am
now getting this single line error in /var/log/httpd/error_log:

[Mon Sep 29 09:11:28 2003] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest
authentication ...

This is the only thing logged each time I restart the server.  I have
researched this error
message and it is usually preceeded with a SIGTERM error in the previous
line, but I am
not getting that, just the single line each time I try to restart the server.

The Apache server starts and there is a single instance of the daemon
running, but the
server does not actually serve pages.

 From reading in other news groups, the error has to do with .htaccess
directives for sites.

There are several sites that use .htaccess on this server, but to my
knowledge, none of
those configurations have changed.

Anyone seen anything like this or have a solution?  If you need any further
information
about the system, please let me know.

Thanks!

Sean Johnson