cd permissions

JB mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 12:57:32 EDT 2003

My CD burner still needs the root password to use it.
The fixes worked for that session but with a restart I
have to give the root password whenever I try to use
it. It isn't much of a problem just a slight
inconvenience, but any additional help would be
appreciated.

Under properties for cdrecord
-rwsrwsrwx  1 root  cdwriter
I'm not sure why the permissions don't match those
that Robert Meyer posted which are
-rwsr-sr-x
Mine has more permissions which I should probably
change but I don't think they would be the stumbling
block?
I issued the commands suggested, which were
chown root:cdwriter /usr/bin/cdrecord
chmod ug+s /usr/bin/cdrecord

The /etc/fstab entry for the cd
/dev/cdrom   /mnt/cdrom   auto
noauto,users,user,ro,kudzu,cdwriter 0 0

I did find something which seems like it could help
but I'm not specifically sure how.
The file is /etc/security/console.apps/xcdroast. The
entries are.

USER=root
PROGRAM=usr/sbin/xcdroast
SESSION=true
I can change USER=root to my regular account which
then asks for my regular account password to get into
xcdroast. I would rather type my regular user account
password than to be typing the root password to use it
but I would rather just use it without typing any
password at all.
If anyone can see what is wrong or has something to
try, I'm all ears, or eyes in this case. : )