Dictation Software for Linux?

Asheville Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Tue Sep 23 18:27:52 EDT 2003

I just hit Google for about two hours and have come to the tentative
conclusion that there is no dictation software (ready to use as opposed
to a developer's package) for Linux. Once upon a time (around 2000) IBM
ViaVoice was available, but seems to have gone away.

I need to buy and set up a computer for enduser dictation for my partner
who has a great deal of writing to do for the forseeable future.  I know
there are products for Windoze - notably Dragon Naturally Speaking, but,
if at all possible, I want to run Linux so it's safe(r) on the internet,
etc. (and all the other benefits).

The computer will be a new dual boot notebook with Linux and XP/Pro.  It
could run Crossover Office or VMWare, etc., if that would help, but if
the dictation happens on the windows side (and it looks like it happens
on the windows side), then the natural tendency will be to do everything
else there too.

Any ideas on how to tackle this would be greatly appreciated.  The
system is needed now (the only time anybody in computing ever needs
anything, other than yesterday ;) )

And, (on or off list as you feel appropriate) I would like to hear from
anyone who has had experience using dictation software that ran on any
system and was good enough to use.  Does this stuff really exist, or is
marketing just selling promisses and upgrades?

Thanks.

Joe