Install Apache,mod_perl,mod_php,mysql

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Fri Sep 19 19:11:32 EDT 2003

First off, if you plan on using mod_ssl, make sure you have OpenSSL
installed, don't try compiling it if you don't want to recompile a ton
of other system components.  Read www.modssl.org thoroughly as compiling
it into Apache 1.3.x series is easy.  I recommend that over the 2.0.x
series for stability and the wide module availability for 1.3.

Secondly, if you plan on utilizing perl and mod_perl, make sure perl is
up to date.  Use CPAN, it's the easiest and does all the compiling for
you ;)  Try this as root: "perl -MCPAN -e shell" if typing "cpan"
doesn't work.  Once your at the 'cpan>' prompt, type: 'install
Bundle::DBI'.  You'll need it for perl script to interact with MySQL.
More on the MySQL bundle in a moment. Compile and install mod_perl as
instructed.

Untar/gunzip Apache, PHP, etc.  Compile mod_ssl as an Apache module
following the directions.  Compile and install Apache.

Next, compile MySQL.  Personally, use the source from www.mysql.com, or
use the binaries (preferred) for your distro if available.  I use the
MySQL rpm's for RedHat systems, and compile from Source for Slackware,
so it's up to you.  Don't use the source from distro's, but that's my
opinion...  Install MySQL using --prefix=/usr and it'll work the best.
Check the mailing list archives and it's manual for help installing.

Compile PHP as a module, telling it where Apache and MySQL are
installed.  Then install, it will automatically add itself to Apache's
configuration file. You may need to use --with-mysql=/usr if
--with-mysql doesn't detect your new installation of MySQL.

Now, go back into CPAN using the "cpan" command which should now
available.  Type: 'install Bundle::DBD::MySQL' (i didn't look this up,
as it's been awhile... it may be: "Bundle::DBD::mysql", all lowercase).
Now perl is ready to go.

Edit your apache config's, and you should be ready to go. Granted, I
didn't cover every step... you do seem to have a few links to refer to,
as well as emailing this group.

--
<? print(pack("c*", 74,117,115,116,32,/* Tony Evans                  */
 65,110,111,116,104,101,114,32,80,72, /* Linux/Web Implementation    */