How I HATE Computers...

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 18:54:58 EDT 2003

OK before I left this AM I finally got the system stable (recall I wiped out
/var/log trying to move it to a new partition).  Well I came home and the
system was off and I knew I had left it on!  Well I rebooted and was trying to
install NWN and the system just SHUT OFF!  Not gracefully just like someon
pulled the plug...

So some reboots and more and more corruption (even using Reiser I lost
/etc/modules.conf, network, video  etc) so Finally I yanked case and the power
supply was so Hot I couldn't touch it.  I ran to US-Itek adn grabbed a 350 W
and after a few attempts of plugging and replugging power leads I got it to
boot.  I had to reinstall Network (run mcc form cmd line) then download nad
reisntall Nvidia drivers (kernel module was corrupt.  THe floppy came back and
I finished making the folders in /var/log I was missing
(mail, cron, kernel, news, lpr daemons) and finally no errors and everything
seemed to work.  OH I HATE when the computer seems to sink in a black hole for
no reason...

BUT the upside is i did NOT have t do a reinstall and everything is like it
was...

Well I said to my wife..."I'm getting really good at recovering from failures,
but I really wish I wasn't good at it...."

JJN