Partition blues (what I need at end:-)

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 08:56:55 EDT 2003

I did good and I did bad, and it gave me the blues baby oohhhh

The good was that I finally removed most every app off my Win98 install adn was
able to completely format the D volume - this reclaimed over 5 GB on my game
machine for Linux!  Now omne of the reasons I've locked up inthe past is a
run-away /var/log file.  SO I figure HEY! I'll move /var/log to a smallish
partition by itself and hopefully avoid locking up...

I used MCC and diskdrake to delete the old vfat partition and create a 500MB
reiser partition and when I chose /var/log as the mount point it popped up a
box and said "You already have one do you want to move data?"  TO which I said
YES.

It seemed to work OK and even moved the data, unfortunately it appears to have
moved only files NOT folders. (Or maybe I screwed up - read on)

I then tried to create a ~4GB (I had used ~ 1 GB for a DOS partition in case I
wanted to play with it...) /opt/data partition to put games in.  I tried to get
it to move my whole /opt but it kept failing to create the resier fs and had
all kinds of troubles.  After many attempts I finally had /var/log mounted on
it's own partition (without folders) buit could not get the new large partition
mounted.  I then rebooted!!!!
MANY errors later I realized the folders were missing and causing all kinds of
syslog.d errors in /var/log.  THen I got all kinds of bad sector or wrong fs
type errors about /dev/hda6 (the /opt/data part).  I tried fdisk and no
/dev/hda5 (var log) or /dev/hda6) I finally gave up last night and this morning
when I rebooted I was dropped to recovery mode and had to manually create the
small /dev/hda5 and large /dev/hda6 and mkresierfs them.  THen I was able to
manually mount them as /mnt/tmp and check them.  I set up /etc/fstab abd
rebooted OK!

BUT -- My /var/log only has what gets created new each reboot (ie messages,
syslog etc) NO subfolders.

Can someone please send me the Mandrake 9.1 standard set of files and
subfolders (ls -la of /var/log). I can then manually mkdir and touch the files.

Or is there a better way (tm)
>From now on I'll just create this stuff manually from rescue disk :-)
Thanks.

JJN