permissions

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 16 13:27:29 EDT 2003

You have to recall that the folder that is shared (in MS terminology) or has
access set to allow any group member to view it - itself must be in a viewable
or pass-through able folder (forgot the technical term :-).  A folder on your
desktop is normally in ~/Desktop or the like which means a group (USers) would
have to have the right to scroll through your /home/YOU/ home directory,
normally not what you want.

Instead create (just a suggestion) a generic /home/<user> account (I like
/export/home/data/) and then allow anyone in a group (the group that owns it)
to have RWX premissions, or just allow the data owner RWX and the group members
RX if you want read-only access.

THe nice thign about this is you can also use the /home/data folder as a Samba
share for the Win computers.

The confusion lies in the fact that with *nix permissions there is not a Share
folder that automatically shares to everyone like in MS OSs.

Hope that helps and if I made any huge errors, I expect them to be pointed out.

JJN