partitions

peter pvant67 at wnyip.net
Sun Sep 14 19:05:04 EDT 2003

Sorry for the long absence, it's been strange/terrible at best here.

My comment about partitions: Anything I think will matter to me in the
long run gets a separate partition, esp. /home and /usr/local.

That's the only reason I've been able to keep essentially the same user
environment for so many years (1999-2000) to present. Back then, I did
things on a Compaq 486. Now, it is 2 or 3 hardware systems later, but
/home hasn't changed much. The contents are similar but the capabilities
are greater.

The way I do things, the rest of the system is disposable. You already
know there's going to be upgrades, betas, etc. /home isn't disposable -
its the stuff you spent the last few years creating. Hence, I never use
the default partition schemes (I use RH9), and I default to a custom
install in order to preserve this.

Hence, I would definitely give /home its own partition; you can safely
wipe and re-install the system without touching it, if you opt to
partition it manually.

Hope this helps someone - Pete

--
"Truly, if Te is strong in one, all one needs to do is sit on one's ass,
and the corpse of one's enemy shall be carried past shortly."