partitions

JB mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 14:37:24 EDT 2003

I'm currently on a win98 box but I am setting up a
second computer with RH9. I had it set up as dual boot
win98/RH9 and it was OK except that it had Microsoft
cooties. I decided I would rather have a RH9 only box,
and back to back network it to my win 98 box.
I'm wondering if there is any advantage to dual
booting if I have a win98 computer and a RH9 computer
in a network? (dual computers vs dual boot)
The RH9 box, I'm setting up has 2 HD's, a 10 gig and a
30 gig.
My partitions are set as follows.
hda1 is set as (/boot) with 94 M.
hda2 is set as a storage area (/gig8) with 8+ G.
hda3 is set as a 1.5 G (swap).
hdb1 is (/) with 30 G.
I am wondering if this is a good partitioning
strategy?
I put the swap on the first drive so it could be
accessed while the / drive was being accessed. I'm
more or less wondering if I should be making more
mount points. I read it is easier to backup with dump
if there are separate partitions such as /usr, /home
and the like. I just completed the install on that
computer so a re-do wouldn't be a problem. Any
opinions/suggestions/tips would be appreciated.