adelphia

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 23:38:11 EDT 2003

Welcome to the group.  Yep, just throw the question out there and we'll do what
we can to help.

The simple answer is to simply plug the ethernet wire from the cable modem into
the network jack on the computer.  Then use whatever configurator exists for
SuSE to configure the network for DHCP (or automatic assignment) and you should
be in business.

The complicated answers involving firewalls, etc. can get WAY complicated but
certainly more interesting.

At some point, you're going to want to use a firewall of some type.  I don't
know about SuSE but RedHat and Mandrake come with built in utilities for
setting up firewalls.  Generally, you want to set the firewall to allow NO
incoming connections.  Since you will probably want to surf with the machine,
rather than be a server (which is against Adelphia policy, anyway) you won't
need incoming capabilities.  You could set your machine to be it's own firewall
in this way.  I personally recommend building a separate firewall that only
does the firewall chores so there is less room to be compromised.

Let us know how you make out...  We'll be here...

Cheers!

Bob