Backup - in detail

Joshua R. Altemoos joshua at navyjosh.us
Wed Sep 3 05:23:00 EDT 2003

just wondering why use rc2?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nflug at nflug.org [mailto:owner-nflug at nflug.org]On Behalf Of
Asheville Joe
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 1:53 AM
To: NFLUG
Subject: Backup - in detail

Pardon me for asking this again, but I still don't get it.
I have a dual boot system - Mandrake 9.1 rc2 and Windoze 98se.  It has a
30MB main disk and a secondary 120MB disk (that will eventually be on a
new computer).  I want to make a complete backup from my main disk which
would work just fine if I completely reformatted the 30MB disk and
started clean.  The disks look like this:

[bigbird at localhost bigbird]$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/hda7 / ext3 defaults 1 1
/dev/hda6 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hda9 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
none /mnt/cdrom supermount
dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/dos_hda1 vfat
iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0,defaults 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/dos_hda5 vfat
iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0,defaults 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount
dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/portable ext3 rw,user,noauto,exec,suid 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0
[bigbird at localhost bigbird]$

Below is what I think I should do.  Please steer me right and fill in
the blanks.

Thanks.

Joe

What I have done so far is to run mkcdrec which makes a recovery CD.
This boots up into command line.
Next, I am doing tar -cvz --file /mnt/dos_hda1 /mnt/portable/cdrive
                                tar -cvz --file /mnt/dos_hda5
/mnt/portable/ddrive
                                dump -0uf /mnt/portable/root /dev/hda7
                                dump -0uf /mnt/portable/boot /dev/hda6
                                dump -ouf /mnt/portable/home /home

What I want to do next is burn cd's for each of the file systems I
copied onto /mnt/portable.
I think that will give me a good backup of everything in a form that can
be slapped back into place on a new drive.  I just need to know how to
do md5's etc. to make sure what I burned is good.

For testing purposes, I have an unformatted 20GB drive.  The 30GB has
lots of free space and what is used should fit easily onto the 20GB drive.

What I would like to do is pull my 30GB drive out (and keep it safe and
working), put the 20GB drive in, boot from the CD made by mkcdrec.
This is where I'm not sure what to do.  I need to partition and format
the drive the same as the 30GB, only, obviously, a bit smaller.  I don't
think I will have access to Diskdrake at this level, so I'll probably
need to do it from the command line.  I think this goes as follows:
First partition the drive - I don't know how to do that.  Then format
the drive:

fdisk /dev/hda
mke2fs -j /dev/hda[79]
mke2fs /dev/hda8
"dosformat" /dev/hda[156] (I don't know how to do a vfat)
then restore the dumps and untar the tars (all from cd's)
then run lilo to build the mbr (I think you can tell lilo where to write
th mbr.)

Then pull out the CDROM and reboot with all as before.

Well, what did I miss?  Did I get this remotely right?  Does fdisk ask
me what partitions and sizes I want?