Problem with mailman

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Wed Oct 29 22:13:07 EST 2003

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, David Dudek wrote:

> That did the trick for getting sendmail to listen.  However, mailman is
> still not working.  I did the following:
>
> [dudek at hal9000 mailman]$ telnet daviddudek.com 25
> Trying 128.205.3.127...
> Connected to hal9000.cit.buffalo.edu (128.205.3.127).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 hal9000.cit.buffalo.edu ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Wed, 29 Oct 2003
> 21:19:33 -0500
> expn stoopid
> 502 5.7.0 Sorry, we do not allow this operation
>
> Am I any closer to getting this working?

It looks like redhat disabled expn. You might want to try vrfy <addr>, but
I doubt that will work if expn didn't. Oh well - you're close now anyways.

Not to get too far ahead, but do you have a MX record set up for the
domain the mailman lists are from? If not, mail sent to list_addr at domain
isn't going to get very far & we'll just have one extra step to
troubleshoot.

If you don't have an MX record set up, you can still test by sending a
message to: list_name@[<ip_addr>]

Once you've sent a message, first check the logs to see if the message hit
sendmail (/var/logl/maillog probably), and then check all the logs in
~mailman/logs/

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst