Problem with mailman

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Tue Oct 28 16:12:47 EST 2003

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, David Dudek wrote:

> I can't seem to get mailman working on my machine.  The machine is running
> Red Hat 9.  I can see the web interface.  I've verified that people have
> received subscription notices to the list I created.  I have sendmail
> running.  The port for SMTP is open with my iptables firewall rules.  (I
> even tested with iptables shut off.)  qrunner is running.  All the aliases
> are in place in /etc/aliases and I ran newaliases.  Everything seems to be
> fine, although "/sbin/service mailman start|stop|restart" has no output.
> (It doesn't say "Starting:", "Stopping:", etc..)
>
> If I send mail to the list, it just isn't processed by mailman.  There are
> no error email messages.  The message doesn't show up in the archive,
> which I set up for the list.  None of the subscribers are receiving mail.

Are there any mailman process running (ps auwwx | grep <your_mailman_id>)?

The archive is only built nightly by default, unless you use
$mailman_bin_dir/arch to build them manually.

Have you regenerated the aliases (newaliases)?

telnet localhost 25
expn <a-test-list-name>

(assuming you have expn turn on...)

Are you thinking of cutting over UB's LISTSERV by any chance?

I do more MailMan than I'd care to admit, so holler if you need help.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst