SINAPSE PHP Project - University of Oklahoma (fwd)

David Dudek dudek at buffalo.edu
Thu Oct 23 11:33:48 EDT 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:18:21 -0500
From: Sarah Tarrant <starrant at sinapse.org>
To: dudek at buffalo.edu
Subject: SINAPSE PHP Project - University of Oklahoma

Dear Linux User Group members,

At the University of Oklahoma there is a student group that has
developed an open source project called SINAPSE (www.sinapse.org) that
has a vision of bringing a real online community to every university in
the nation.

SINAPSE is a free, open-source, PHP-based software project for the
development of web-based student communities.  Some of the main services
that SINAPSE currently supports are a groups-based permissions system, a
plug-in module framework, calendaring, message boards, content
publishing, markets, and much more.

We are consulting you, specifically, because the project is based on the
popular LAMP model of open-source software (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP), and
we know that Linux enthusiasts are often quite knowledgeable about
scripting languages, especially PHP.

We regularly check with the Linux User Group at various universities to
get ideas on recruiting talent.  The SINAPSE community is a nationwide
open-source software project and is open to contribution and
collaboration.  However, we know that only students at your university
know what students there need.  For that reason, we are looking for
people who might be interested in contributing their programming
expertise to the project on behalf of their university.

If you, or anyone you know that has PHP experience, might be interested
in helping, we encourage you first to check out the SINAPSE project by
visiting http://www.sinapse.org.
We are students, and know how hard it is to find a way to genuinely
contribute to your school. This can be a unique opportunity to learn,
contribute, and to meet people with similar technical interests.  Below
you will find the contact info for the SINAPSE Director, and the SINAPSE
Technical Liaison.  We highly encourage you to contact one of us if you
are interested.

For technical questions please forward comments to:
Dave Leichtman
Technical Liaison
dave at sinapse.org

For all other inquiries please contact:
Brandon Turman
Director/Client Relations
brandon at sinapse.org

SINAPSE has evolved through feedback from students across the nation, so
please send us your comments on the project.  If you know of other
organization leaders looking for a dynamic web presence, please help
spread the word about SINAPSE.

Thank you for your time,
Sarah

Sarah Tarrant