qmail easy set instructions

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 10:00:07 EDT 2003

There is no simple tutorial that anyone could give 'cuz there is so much to
think about.  If you install sendmail in RedHat or Mandrake, there is a
directory called /etc/mail that has all of the configuration files (make sure
you install sendmail-cf) for setting up sendmail.

The big items to be concerned with are:

Make sure you comment out the line in sendmail.mc that looks like this:
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl

Make sure you put all of the machine names that this box will respond as in
local-host-names (e.g. www.domain.com, domain.com, smtp.domain.com, etc.)

Type 'make' in /etc/mail and restart sendmail.  That's it.  Of course, there's
lots of other issues if you have IMAP or POP users that want to send mail from
outside your domain.  This setup only allows the machine to receive mail that
is destined for users on the machine and sending mail that originates on the
machine.  There is NO relaying capability in this config.  Things get hairy if
you want some kind of relay (another machine can route mail through it)

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Bob