Mandrake login problem

Asheville Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Oct 9 15:36:11 EDT 2003

I had a problem recently and Mandrake's equivalent of scandisk repaired
my disk during boot up.  Since then, when I boot, I get xdm loaded and
it puts up an Xwindows Login instead of the mandrake login panel.  Among
other things, this prevents me from shutting down without going to an Xterm.

I've been researching it and have found that /etc/X11/prefdm chooses the
display manager by reading a file /etc/sysconfig/desktop and also by
searching for window managers.  Parts of the code do which on mdkkdm,
kdm , gdm, and finally, xdm.

I su'd to root and did a which on each one of those files and the only
one it found was xdm.  So that's where my problem seems to be.

I need to know where mdkkdm, kdm, and gdm are supposed to be.  Then,
hopefully, I can either restore them from my dump backup or download
them from somewhere.

Thanks.

Joe

--
"Corporations have been enthroned. An era of corruption in high places will follow and the money power will endeavor to prolong its reign by working on the prejudices of the people until wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed." --Abraham Lincoln