FYI: [Fwd: Mandrake newsletter: Mandrake Linux 9.2 ISOs Publicly Released!]

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 19:30:39 EST 2003

An interesting point about this.  It seems that the gamers out there seem to
like the winmodems better than internal hardware modems or external modems.  It
seems that latency is better when using a winmodem 'cuz you aren't double
buffering everything.  Remember that the modem does compression/decompression,
along with the encoding and decoding of the actual signal.  With the speed of
modern processors, the CPU eaten by the winmodem seems to be trivial.

Having said that, I still prefer hardware modems...

Cheers!

Bob