synaptic!

David Mangani dmangani at att.net
Tue Nov 18 20:08:38 EST 2003

Robert Meyer wrote:

>--- David Mangani <dmangani at att.net> wrote:
>

>>Asheville Joe wrote:
>>

>>>Is there a version (and database) that works with Mandrake yet?  I
>>>tried to install a version, but ran into problems.  From what I
>>>understand, even if I did get it installed, it relies on a distrro
>>>dependent database that teel it what each package needs to work.
>>>
>>>Joe

>>Hi Joe,
>>
>>I'm not sure about a mandrake specific version. I do believe your
>>correct however, the "version" I installed was specifically under the
>>"Fedora Core" d'load section.  It makes sense as it would need to be
>>aware of an entire RPM database to function properly. I know there was a
>>version previously for RH. As a RH user I never checked into its
>>availability on Mandrake.
>>    On a side note, I sent for MDK 9.2 and tried to install it. Wow, I
>>had alot of trouble. In fact way to much trouble. I'm thinking the disks
>>I got were bad. All kinds of broken links to apps, sound was messed up (
>>SB Live ) very common card. video card detected wrong.. Oh well. I know
>>MDK is known to be pretty good, so I guess I may have gotten a bad disk
>>set. The set I recieved were CD-R's. I have had trouble in the past with
>>SOME CD-R sets. Does MDK have a "media checker" routine like RH? I
>>didn't see one.
>>

>I suspect that you had problems with the CD set.  I have installed from my set
>several times and everything seems to work OK.
>
>Did you get them from MDK or download them?
>
>You can run 'md5sum' on the disks and then check against their published sums
>for the set.
>
>Cheers!
>
>Bob

>http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

I actually sent for the disks. I ordered them from linuxcentral. I had
previously had good luck with them. Same place I got my Fedora from. I
tried HCI design a while back and had them send me 2 sets of RH8 I
think. BOTH sets failed the media check. Ended up buying the RH8 Bible I
believe ( Nice Book for a newbie), included the three disk set. Thanks
for the input though. I liked the idea of MDK mainly because it seems
more "consumer" oriented. More A/V stuff included out of the box.
MPlayer, xmms that can actually play MP3's out of the box and ALSA. Also
just curiousity. Nice to check out whats available. If I can get a good
MDK set, I'd still like to try it out sometime.

Thx again
Dave