FYI: [Fwd: Mandrake newsletter: Mandrake Linux 9.2 ISOs Publicly Released!]

Erek Dyskant erek at nbtsc.org
Tue Nov 18 19:03:06 EST 2003

Ken,
	Probably not.  Even if it was supported, I still wouldn't use a
winmodem on a linux box.  You're much better off just spending the
$20.00 and buying a used external serial modem.
	The problem is that winodems are basically sound cards tuned to
the impedence of a phone line, so they use the driver to do all of the
decoding.  This makes writing the driver much more difficult, and
also uses a lot more CPU time than a conventional modem.
	I have seen some cool linux answering machines for winmodems
thoiugh, since they are quite easy to rig for use as a phone-line sound
card.

Regards,
Erek