From Source Distros?

Ron ronb at cogeco.ca
Mon Nov 17 12:20:42 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 11:43, Dave Andruczyk wrote:
> --- JJ Neff <jjneff at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm playing a lot with this sun box (ultra10).  I ve had Solaris 7,8,9 on it.
> >
> > Debian and now I'm installing gentoo.
> >
> > Installing gentoo makes me wonder, what is the true value in installing a
> > "from
> > source" distro.  I have been working on it for days and still dont have a
> > running system.  It takes 3-4 days to get to a desktop like environment
> > (KDE,GNOME etc)
> >
> > Debian takes me about one-3 hours total if I have a fast Internet connection
> > or
> > cds only.  - I tried LFS a few times but always ran out of time.
> >
> > So other than the ever heard "perfectly optimized OS" which I don't know if I
> > believe since who knows ALL the optimization options of every piece of
> > software.  Please lets discuss the pros and cons (not a fight but a
> > discussion
> > please:-)
>
> One advantage is you learn a bit more about the low levels of buiilding a
> system, which helps you learn some troubleshooting and admin skills that you
> wouldn't otherwise devel by using a gui wizard, or "apt-get install package"
>
> Plus for some people (who have too much time on their hands like me) it's
> personally gratifying to "roll your own", compared to installing a prebuilt
> distro.
>
> I'm installing gentoo on my ultra 30 as  write this,  and it is slow compared
> to my dual athlon,  but still a useful machine. (esp for optimizing code, as
> not everyone out there has the latest and greatest)
>

> =====
> Dave J. Andruczyk

Dave's point was the selling point for me.  I read an interview with
Daniel Robbins who stated that "Gentoo" was for advanced users who have
the knowledge and ability to make the most of the optimizations *and*
(this is what hooked me) novice users who want to learn about Linux and
their systems.

As well since my computer is "only" a toy not needed for anything other
than my own enjoyment so I can play if I want 8-)

The downside?  I have a mess to fix, but then the learning was the whole
point lol.
--
Ron
ronb at cogeco.ca