Installing GCC on Debian

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Wed Nov 12 13:08:48 EST 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 rwechter at liberatortime.com wrote:

> Thanks for all of the input - using apt-select and updating my CD
> information in apt-setup, running
>
> apt-get install gcc
>
> fixed my issue.  My curiosity is why is this different form dpkg - but as
> long as it work thats fine.  Its almost like dpkg doesn't configure the
> package, it just installs it.

Glad to hear it. It shouldn't be much different from dpkg though. In fact,
apt uses dpkg. I don't have any clue as to why it behaived differently.

> My next challenge will be to get gcc v3.x running in Debian.  If anyone has
> any pre pointers they would be appreciated.

It shouldn't be any challenge:

apt-get install gcc-3.0

if it's somewhere your sources.list knows about. If not, dpkg -i it -
multiple gcc versions can peacefully coexist in Debian too.

> But perhaps this begs a simpler question - why isn't your networking
> working?
>
> 1. Do you have a network connection available?
> 2. Is the module for your NIC/I-hope-you're-not-stuck-on-a-modem loaded?
>
> 'modconf' will handle module loading & dependencies in Debian. If you have
> a NIC and a broadband connection, odds are pretty good Debian has a module
> for the NIC.

I'm still curious about this - I'd hate to see you suffer all that pain if
you just need to load a module and start networking.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst