CD-ROM Issues

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sat Nov 8 09:40:18 EST 2003

A few to check:

*) See if your kernel supports iso9660 (try to insmod the kernel
module.... assuming it's built as a kernel module :)

*) ensure that /cdrom directory exists & is writable, or not already
mounted by another device.

*) The cd-rom that you're trying to mount is in good condition.  If you
can boot with the knoppix cd, use that disc to mount during this debugging
process.

*) Your dd process that you mentioned below should be /dev/hdc, not
/dev/cdrom.  Or, cd /dev && ln -s hdc cdrom.

-Rob

> Hey All,
>
> I've been lurking on the mailing list for about a month now, am hoping
> you can help me with an inexplicable issue with my cdrom drive. Sorry
> about the length of this message, but I'm trying to include all relevant
> info.
>
> The short version is that whenever I put in a cd and try to mount it, my
> computer hard crashes. If I fiddle with /etc/fstab a bit and change the
> fstype to 'auto' instead of 'iso9660', it doesn't crash and I get an
> error message instead (details below).
>
> I'm running debian unstable (sid) fully up to date (I ran 'apt-get
> update' then 'apt-get dist-upgrade' today), on a 2.4.22 kernel.
> matt at mongoose:~$ uname -a
> Linux mongoose 2.4.22 #2 Thu Nov 6 20:41:31 EST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> I'm pretty sure the permissions to /dev/hdc are not the problem, as I've
> tried mounting both as me (matt, who is a member of the audio group) and
> as root. Permissions are as follows:
>
> matt at mongoose:~$ ls -al /dev/hdc
> brw-rw----    1 root     audio     22,   0 Jul  5  2000 /dev/hdc
>
> My entry in /etc/fstab is:
> /dev/hdc        /cdrom          auto    defaults,ro,user 	0 0
>
> but this entry causes the system to lock up on mounting:
> /dev/hdc        /cdrom          is09660  defaults,ro,user	0 0
>
> Here's what I get when I attempt to mount:
> matt at mongoose:~$ mount /cdrom/
> /dev/hdc: Input/output error
> mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified
>
> The kernel is detecting the drive at boot, I get these messages from
> kern.log:
> Nov  6 23:05:21 mongoose kernel: hdc: SAMSUNG SCR-3232, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
> drive
> Nov  6 23:05:21 mongoose kernel: hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver.
> Nov  6 23:05:21 mongoose kernel: hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM drive, 128kB
> Cache, DMA
> Nov  6 23:05:21 mongoose kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
>
> As suggested over at the LDP CDROM-HOWTO, I tried these commands and got
> the following results:
> matt at mongoose:~$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/null bs=2048
> dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> 0 bytes transferred in 3.295555 seconds (0 bytes/sec)
> matt at mongoose:~$ dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/null bs=2048
> dd: reading `/dev/hdc': Input/output error
> 0+0 records in
> 0+0 records out
> 0 bytes transferred in 4.065978 seconds (0 bytes/sec)
>
> The thing that really confuses me is that my cd drive worked fine a few
> months ago (this has been an ongoing problem), but it worked perfectly
> when I put in a Knoppix CD last night and booted off that. So it's
> definitely something wrong with my kernel or system configuration, but I
> can't figure out what.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
> ~Matt

> [...]

Dege

I'm just not up2date on my al-kee-hol-*hic* lingo
Although, I do have that slurring part down ;)