CD-ROM Issues

Robert Todd robert.todd at adelphia.com
Fri Nov 7 21:46:46 EST 2003

Tried going back to an earlier kernel?

	-----Original Message-----
	From: owner-nflug at nflug.org on behalf of Matthew D. Cristantello
	Sent: Fri 11/7/2003 9:09 PM
	To: nflug at nflug.org
	Subject: CD-ROM Issues

	Hey All,

	I've been lurking on the mailing list for about a month now, am hoping
	you can help me with an inexplicable issue with my cdrom drive. Sorry
	about the length of this message, but I'm trying to include all relevant
	info.

	The short version is that whenever I put in a cd and try to mount it, my
	computer hard crashes. If I fiddle with /etc/fstab a bit and change the
	fstype to 'auto' instead of 'iso9660', it doesn't crash and I get an
	error message instead (details below).

	I'm running debian unstable (sid) fully up to date (I ran 'apt-get
	update' then 'apt-get dist-upgrade' today), on a 2.4.22 kernel.
	matt at mongoose:~$ uname -a
	Linux mongoose 2.4.22 #2 Thu Nov 6 20:41:31 EST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux

	I'm pretty sure the permissions to /dev/hdc are not the problem, as I've
	tried mounting both as me (matt, who is a member of the audio group) and
	as root. Permissions are as follows:

	matt at mongoose:~$ ls -al /dev/hdc
	brw-rw----    1 root     audio     22,   0 Jul  5  2000 /dev/hdc

	My entry in /etc/fstab is:
	/dev/hdc        /cdrom          auto    defaults,ro,user        0 0

	but this entry causes the system to lock up on mounting:
	/dev/hdc        /cdrom          is09660  defaults,ro,user       0 0

	Here's what I get when I attempt to mount:
	matt at mongoose:~$ mount /cdrom/
	/dev/hdc: Input/output error
	mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

	The kernel is detecting the drive at boot, I get these messages from
	kern.log:
	Nov  6 23:05:21 mongoose kernel: hdc: SAMSUNG SCR-3232, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM
	drive
	Nov  6 23:05:21 mongoose kernel: hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver.
	Nov  6 23:05:21 mongoose kernel: hdc: ATAPI 32X CD-ROM drive, 128kB
	Cache, DMA
	Nov  6 23:05:21 mongoose kernel: Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

	As suggested over at the LDP CDROM-HOWTO, I tried these commands and got
	the following results:
	matt at mongoose:~$ dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/dev/null bs=2048
	dd: reading `/dev/cdrom': Input/output error
	0+0 records in
	0+0 records out
	0 bytes transferred in 3.295555 seconds (0 bytes/sec)
	matt at mongoose:~$ dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/null bs=2048
	dd: reading `/dev/hdc': Input/output error
	0+0 records in
	0+0 records out
	0 bytes transferred in 4.065978 seconds (0 bytes/sec)

	The thing that really confuses me is that my cd drive worked fine a few
	months ago (this has been an ongoing problem), but it worked perfectly
	when I put in a Knoppix CD last night and booted off that. So it's
	definitely something wrong with my kernel or system configuration, but I
	can't figure out what.

	Thanks in advance for your help!
	~Matt

	"Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means
	for going backwards."
	-Aldous Huxley
	        Matthew D. Cristantello
	        matt at crazy42.org