IDE Cables

ron browning ron_browning14223 at yahoo.com
Sat May 24 12:21:04 EDT 2003

I beleave the tech spec. is 19" total length.  If you go longer???  There is a place on Colvin near Mable that will make cables.  Recommand shielded.

Asheville Joe <josephj at main.nc.us> wrote: I'm sure one of the hardware experts will have a better answer, but...
If you look hard enough, or make your own, you can have a longer IDE
cable. I believe the main issue is that the maximum length is part of
the definition of the interface. All this means is that if you make it
longer, performance may suffer, but a little bit longer will probably
not be a problem. Making your own cable is easy. All you need is an
appropriate piece of ribbon cable, the correct insualtion displacement
connectors and a bench vise to squeeze them on with. The only tricky
part is making sure pin one on each of the connectors is connected to
the same wire on the ribbon (usually marked with a colored stripe on the
edge of the cable).

Joe