Half Duplex

Mark T. Valites valites at geneseo.edu
Mon May 12 16:06:02 EDT 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003, Tom Morgan wrote:

> I have a Dell Poweedge 1500 running RH7.3 I am trying
> to hard code the nic to 100 Mbps Full Duplex. I tried
> to use mii-tool but i am being told this:
>
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
> SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth1' failed: Operation not supported
> no MII interfaces found
>
> I beleive I am being told my nic doesnt support
> mii-tool.
>
> Can someone tell me if there is another way to do this
> without mii-tool.

Try dropping something like this into your modules.conf (with appropriate
substituions):

alias eth0 e1000
options eth0 Speed=100
add options eth0 Duplex=2

I know the intel e1000 driver source has the how-to in it.  You may also
want to check the dell linux lists at:

http://lists.us.dell.com

They are by far the best source of help for your dell hardware.

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst