xawtv

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 24 19:44:21 EST 2003

Hmmm... Methinks you need to tell the tuner driver what tuner module you
have.  I think that the thing needs something like:
options bttv tuner=1
or some such in /etc/modules.conf.  Take a look at /var/log/messages or run
the 'dmesg' command and look for references to the video device to find
out what the type is.  I suspect that all Hauppauge devices use bt878
type video devices but the tuner has to be identified.  I think that there
are something like 8 of them.  After you make the change, you need to
'rmmod' the 'i2c-core' device and everything listed to the right of it
when you do an 'lsmod'.  You will need to edit /etc/modules.conf to add the
line, type 'depmod -a', remove the modules and then do a 'modprobe bttv'.
You may have to try several 'tuner=' numbers until you get it.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!

Bob
--- Joe Pollock <josephj at buffnet.net> wrote:
> Thanks to Bob Meyer, I now have Mandrake 9.1 rc 2 on my machine!  I'm
> working on getting xawtv to work with my Hauppauge WINTV USB.  The program
> runs, but has no channels to select and displays a black screen.  When I run
> the companion program - scantv - which sets up the channel list for xawtv,
> it starts up, asks a few initial questions and then fails with the following
> message:
>
> vbi: open failed [/dev/v41/vbi0]
> /dev/v41/vbi0 no such file or directory
>
> I checked, it doesn't exist.  /dev/v41/ is there.
>
> I did a quick Google search and found some stuff on /dev/vbi, but nothing
> with a v41 in it.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this or what driver it needs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

=====
Bob Meyer