initrd

deadpoint deadpoint at adelphia.net
Mon Mar 3 18:17:00 EST 2003

from the initrd man page.

The  special file /dev/initrd is a read-only block device.
 Device /dev/initrd is a RAM disk that is initialized (e.g.
 loaded)  by  the boot loader before the kernel is started.
 The kernel then can use the the block device /dev/initrd's
 contents for a two phased system boot-up.

when you build a new kernel you need to generate an initrd for that
kernel, this is done with the mkinitrd command and tell grub or lilo to
use it. the command "mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.28-3 2.4.18-3" could be
used to generate an initrd for kernel version 2.4.18-3.