New User

Joe Isom jsi at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 29 10:43:12 EDT 2003

My ethernet is obviously working to some degree because this system is
what I am using to comunnicate with NFLUG.  But, as I mentioned earlier,
something's not quite right as evidenced by my inability to get rid of
these various error and warning messages, and by the response I get when
I type dmesg at the root.  Nonetheless, here's what I get when I run
ifconfig:

[root at localhostlocaldomain root]# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:E0:6F:05:xx:xx
          inet addr:24.51.30.xxx  Bcast:255.255.255.255
Mask:255.255.254.0
          TX packets:26572 errors:6832728 dropped:0 overruns:6832728
carrier:6832728
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:30989795 (29.5 Mb)  TX bytes:2158264 (2.0 Mb)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:28263360 (26.9 Mb)  TX bytes:28263360 (26.9 Mb)

[root at localhostlocaldomain root]#

Also, here's what I get when I run route at the root:

[root at localhostlocaldomain root]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination  Gateway       Genmask        Flags Metric Ref    Use  Iface
24.51.30.0   *             255.255.254.0  U     0      0        0  eth0
169.254.0.0  *             255.255.0.0    U     0      0        0  eth0
127.0.0.0    *             255.0.0.0      U     0      0        0  lo
default      ny-amherst7a-ga 0.0.0.0      UG    0      0        0  eth0

I keep thinking there is some setting in my browser security that is
causing this because of the way I can go to a site whose link is
presented to me in an EMAIL.  But if I try manually typing in a domain
name in the search field at the top, using the full address, i.e.,
http://www.ebay.com/
I'll get, "Connect refused when contacting www.ebay.com" or "Connection
timed out . . . "

Joe