PAN problems

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 10 14:15:56 EDT 2003

I just did and update to my Mandrake9.1 install.  I did not see any PAN updates
so I don't believe my issue is related to the updates but if anyone else knows
differently please holler.

Here is the problem.  I use PAN to read news.  I decided to download a whole
bunch of news (and attachments) to teh default location ~/News/Pan and read
later.

The settings for Pan are in /.pan and there are also config settings (the
servers etc.) in .gnome/Pan/

I went to a windows PC and mapped a drive to \\server\jjneff.  Then I navigated
to ~/News/Pan and was browsing the messages and images that had been saved to
disk.  I decided to make some folders and place the images in seperate folders
to keep track of them.  I did this in windows exploreer on the drive that was
mapped as the Linux user jjneff.

I Never touched the .pan or .gnome/Pan folders!

When I disconnected and went back to my Linux box I started Pan and I got the
first time dialog.  I made sure that .pan was in my /home path and it was.  I
tried again and it still wanted to make a new config.  I copied .pan to another
location and ran the first time wizard.  I then moved .pan back still nogo,
none of my exisitng servers or read/unread data is there. I checked .gnome/Pan
and all my servers nad passwords etc are there!!

Pan absolutely refuses to read .pan/data  - If I add a server it is added to my
existing .pan/data and I can view it but the other servers sitting right next
to it are never shown.  so a NEW .pan is NOT being created.  I removed and
reinstalled PAN and the .pan is still not read correctly.

DId I change the permsissions somehow by creating dirs in /News/Pan??  I always
thought .<program> files could just be copied back and forth.  Why is my
existing .pan/data/not getting read -- any ideas at all are welcome.

Anyone else use PAN who can tell me the default sec settings of ~/.pan
.gnome/PAN and ~/News/Pan ?

THANKS

JJN