Package Recommendations RFC

vlok stone vlokstone at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 21 21:39:04 EDT 2003

if you're using mandrake the 1st thing on the to do
list is setup urpmi ( this resolves dependency
problems when installing rpm's . go here

http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/urpmiweb.php

the contrib and plf ( penguin liberaton front ) are
important so you can get packages not included in the
distro legal reasons.

I don't know what you want to use the pc for or your
proficiency level in linux , so
here are some apps I consider must haves:
mplayer ( video )
xine ( video dvd )
xmms
ripperX ( mp3 ripper )
eroaster ( buring program )
guarddog ( gui) or shorewall (non-gui) ( firewall )
streamtuner ( w/streamripper-> shoutcast internet
radio)
anti-aliased firebird (mozilla-browser) found here ->
http://jaeger.morpheus.net/linux/crux/files
enemy-territory return to castle wolfenstein (google)
drakconf ( helps for config w/ gui )

--- scott <green_man at bluefrog.biz> wrote:

---------------------------------
At the meeting Bob made the comment, " I hate working
on a machine I didn'tinstall - I can't even use
strings."
I also didn't have dhcp. IIRC, I didn't install
anything from the Developmentdivision because I'm not
a software developer.
So apparently I don't even have a kernel compiler. I
just followed the choicesin a Mandrake install
walkthrough
I found some where, so I'm probably lacking on
administrative and searchtools.
I was wondering if Bob or anyone else would care to
post a list of recommendedrpms for stand alone desktop
user's box running KDE. I do also have some Gnome apps
in, but they run inKDE.
Then I could find the common denominators.

-- ScottKein Mitleid F&uuml;r MicroSoft.Mozilla 0.9.4
Mail on Mandrake Linux

=====
Free Good
Fire Bad