Non RPM software upgrades

David Mangani dmangani at att.net
Wed Jul 16 17:28:55 EDT 2003

	I installed Netscape 7 from CD ( I had laying around from windows and noticed
it had a linux version as well ). It was not in rpm format, I think it was
./instal and then an installation wizard pretty much did the rest. How would
I now either remove this program or upgrade it to a newer version since it
wasn't installed with RPM. Is it very difficult to do?

	Secondly, I have been struggling to get RH9 to see my windows drive. ( It is
on its own HDD ) I tried mounting it manually, edited the fstab file, tried
all different options, filesystem types vfat,dos,etc. NOTHING worked. Kept
getting no mount point defined. Anyways, googled mount point found my answer
in like 2 seconds ugggggg. All I had to do was mkdir /win-c to match the
entry I made in fstab. I have several books on RH and nowhere was there a
mention of having do mkdir to gain access to windows or anyother file/system
to be mounted. I guess sometimes the best lessons are the ones we learn from
missing obvious things.

Dave.