md5sum

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 21:02:58 EDT 2003

> I am a Linux newcomer.  I have downloaded and burned Mandrake 9.1 ISO's.
> After installation it seems a lot of things are not working properly and
> others are just plain broken.  Am questioning the integrity of my download
> and would appreciate anyone who can tell me how to check my cd's against the
> md5sums.  I did check the md5sum man page and would appear to be just a
> little too unknowledgable for it to have been much help.

I'm not sure if Mandrake has this feature or not, but the new Redhat CD's ask
you if you want to verify them just before the install.  IF it doesn't the way
to do it is:

in the directory where the ISO files are, run "md5sum cd1.iso" and such for
each CD iso file.  It will take a while to run, and spit out a long number,
compare that the the MD5SUM file you can download withthe ISO's  if they match,
then your ISO's are OK.

As for things being broken after install, can you elaborate more on that?

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk