Kernel compile problems

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 11 15:01:16 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-07-11 at 13:52, Dave Andruczyk wrote:
> initial ramdisks are ONLY needed

I find it interesting that the Redhat 9.0 installer opts for using this.
Any idea why? Does it need it for installation purposes? When I rebuilt
my kernel afterwards, I decided to get rid of it.

Speaking of rebuilding kernels(something I've always played around
with), wouldn't it be cool to have a detailed explanation of EVERY
SINGLE kernel option that one encounters when they do a "make
xconfig/menuconfig/config"?? The help that comes with these options, I
often find lacking. And I am sure, there are a couple things compiled
into my kernels that I don't need. Simply because, the explanation was
too vague or said nothing at all.

Some of the options get fairly technical, and the ones that bother me
most, are the archaic bug fix drivers that you never know if you need
anymore. "Such and such fixes a bug in x86 motherboards..." Great, at
what point was that actually fixed in the hardware and I can stop
including it, cause i don't need it?? Sigh.

> Dave J. Andruczyk

Why can't I see your name and NOT think of former Sabres winger Dave
Andreychuk?? :)

KEG