Kernel compile problems

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jul 10 09:33:22 EDT 2003

> Where the depmod errors only specific to one of two modules, or for EVERY
> module? (if for every, the make mrproper is necessary followed by a complete
> rebuild), if they occur for only one or two, it usualy means you found a buggy
> driver, or a missed dependancy (also a bug...)

I transferred the linux src to another machine & rebuilt the code with the
same config file.  No depmod errors.  So the problem seemed to be with the
OS.

However, on this second machine (RedHat 9.0), I'm now erroring out at the
end with mkinitrd:

sh -x ./install.sh 2.4.21 bzImage /usr/src/linux-2.4.21/System.map ""
+ '[' -x /root/bin/installkernel ']'
+ '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
+ exec /sbin/installkernel 2.4.21 bzImage /usr/src/linux-2.4.21/System.map
''
No module aic7xxx found for kernel 2.4.21
mkinitrd failed
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Funny thing is that I configured aic7xxx to be in the kernel instead of
built as a module.  Oye...  I feel like I'm working with a BSOD!

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me