Kernel compile problems

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 12:02:23 EDT 2003

--- Robert Dege <rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU> wrote:

> I'm trying to compile the 2.4.21 kernel on RedHat 7.3.  When I get to the
> part of make modules_install (or make install for that matter), it craps
> out in the end when it executes the depmod.
>
> Every module that I have selected in the config reports unresolved
> symbols.  I even tried previous configs that compiled successfully in the
> past, but the same problem exists.
>
> Any suggestions??

I've seen that before,  it is caused by not starting from a presitine tree..

do this to resolve:
cd /usr/src/linux. (assume your new tree is in this path)
cp .config /tmp
make mrproper  <-- very important,  makes the tree "super clean"
cp /tmp/.config .
make menuconfig
	LEt it open, and then just save and exit. (needed to load the .config file and
setup a few things for the build)

make dep clean && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install && cp
arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21

The "&&" are used instead of ";" so that if any part fails, the build will stop
there and not try and continue.

make your initial ramdisk if you use one (not everyone uses one)
(mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.4.21.img 2.4.21)
edit your grub.conf or lilo.conf (rerun lilo if you edit it) and add a section
for your new kernel and initrd (if used).  do NOT delete your old kernel entry
from lilo.conf or grub.conf in case this build fails to boot for whatever
reason (typo in config file, or missing hw support in the kernel)

Reboot on your new kernel..

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk