Gentoo Linux

peter pvant67 at wnyip.net
Tue Jan 21 17:03:31 EST 2003

Robert Dege wrote:
> Being the gumshoe that I am :) I decided to check the gentoo forums for
> assistance.  It seems that the realtek problem is big problem with the rc2
> release.  So I might wait until rc3 comes out & try that instead.
>
> Gentoo also mentioned something about going to rc3 instead of final due to
> a variety of reasons.... one of which is
>
> "The 2.4.20 kernel is experiencing IDE problems on x86. While patches are
> in the pipeline to fix these issues, they require more testing before
> being declared "stable""
>
> Is anyone actively listening to the kernel discussions?  This is the first
> I heard about this, and I find it somewhat alarming since I've started
> to upgrade certain servers to the 2.4.20 release (ack)
>
> -Rob

I follow the kernel mail list daily, but I'm not aware of major problems
in the mainline 2.4.20 kernel. There were a few hiccups last week in the
-ac series, but mostly for 2.4.21. As it is, I'm using the RH version of
2.4.20 that I built at the meeting with no problems, but I usually hack
up their .config file a bit too, just to get rid of the modules I don't
use. Let me know how it goes, I've been using 2.4.20 for about 3 weeks
now with no big deal.

--
"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price."
		-- Richard M. Stallman