nfs client/server?

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 14 15:03:09 EST 2003

Hmmm... that sounds familiar.  First of all, 4294967294 is actually
FFFFFFFE in hex.  That works out to -1 or -2 (I forget) if we're
talking about a signed integer.  A lot of systems used to use -1
as user nobody so I would check to see if you're remapping nobody
to -1 in your exports file.  A note from the Linux 'exports' man page:
       By  default,  exportfs  chooses  a uid and gid of -2 (i.e.
       65534) for squashed access. These values can also be over­
       ridden  by  the anonuid and anongid options.  Finally, you
       can map all user requests to the anonymous uid by specify­
       ing the all_squash option.

Sounds like it might have something to do with what you have there.

Cheers!

Bob

--- Darin Perusich <darinper at cognigencorp.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> i'm mounting an nfs filesystem to a redhat7.3 box from a solaris8
> fileserver and i'm seeing some wierd uid's and gid's. files that are
> owned by user nobody have uid/gid of 4294967294, nobody on both systems
> are setup like "nobody:x:60001:60001:Nobody:/:/sbin/noshell".
>
> has anyone ever seen this before?
>
> --
> Darin Perusich
> Unix Systems Administrator