format fat32

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Jan 4 13:20:39 EST 2003

Can anyone tell me the correct way to successfully format a fat32
partition in Linux? I have a drive, 80GB which my dos disks won't
recognize correctly and I am making a dual boot with windows/Linux. The
windows part limits to 32GB or wants to format in ntfs, and we cant have
that!
I can make the partition easy enough in Linux and I assign the boot
flag. I then format with the command "mkdosfs -F32 /dev/hda" and it says
it formats OK. I then install windows and it installs but then when it
reboots, it fails. I know I am doing something wrong in the formatting
because this has happened before and my work around then was to hook up
the 80GB as a slave to a windows box and then format it from within
windows, then I installed and everything was ok. Am I doing the mkdosfs
command correctly?