sendmail relaying

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Thu Jan 2 23:03:57 EST 2003

Sorry for my delayed response.  Was being distracted with other
priorities.

> What version of sendmail?

sendmail-8.12.4-1

>You can send mail from a pc on your lan correct (only to the local
>domain), your not getting a connection refused. In some of the later
>releases by default sendmail will refuse connection on port 25 from
>anything other than localhost (need to comment out
>DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA') ) and then regen the
>sendmail.cf file. I dont belive this is the case (just for general info
>for others who may have this problem in the future).

No, that's not correct.  Lemme explain it better:

		Firewall w/real IP
		    & masq. IP

		+-------+---------------+
		|			|
		Mail Server		My Machine
		Masq IP			Masq IP

My machine currently acts as a listserv.  It receives emails to the list &
successfully forwards them to the list members.

>From "My Machine" I can email to myself and others at UB email addresses.

However, when I try to email an @aol.com address, I get the email relaying
denied error.  If I logon to the machine I can then send the message via
pine to ANY @aol.com address without error.

> Have you tried adding 192.x.x RELAY to /etc/mail/access Justin

I added my 192.168.1 address to access, and relay-domains, but still no
luck.  Still get relaying denied.

-Rob

Robert Dege said: > > I'm
> having difficutlies sendmail mail with my sendmail server. > >
> background: > > I have a linux box running sendmail in behind a firewall.
> > I want to use mail from my computer using my linux box as POP/SMTP > >
> Both machines have internal 192.168 addresses > The Linksys router has
> the real_ip/hostname. > The linux box uses that hostname despite it's
> internal IP > I added 192.168.1. to my /etc/mail/relays file. > > I am
> able to send mail to my UB account from my machine. But when I try > to
> send mail to an aol account, I get relaying denied. If I send it > from
> the box directly (pine), then it sends no problem. > > So what step am I
> overlooking? > > Dege > > So Many Things in Life Would Be Really Funny >
> .... If They Weren't Happening To Me > > > -- > This message has been
> scanned for viruses and > dangerous content by Dynabrade using
> Mailscanner, > and is believed to be clean. --
> (Linux) Certified Engineer Network Administrator Dynabrade Inc. 8989
> Sheridan Dr Clarence, NY 14031 716-631-0100 ext 215

Dege

.... If They Weren't Happening To Me