newbie redhat update problem

Floyd Baker fbaker at olm1.com
Tue Feb 18 16:05:14 EST 2003

Justin, James and all...

Thanks for the information.

A really strange thing.  Armed myself with notes on vi and booted up
to go after the inittab file but it went right up into gnome.  There
was nothing done differently from those times it wouldn't come up but
now it's back to working normally.  I found the id:5:initdefault line
as it should be.

There is an *extremely* long wait though on bringing up programs.
Like I click on the run menu or a game for example and everything
takes more than a full minute to come up.

Since downloading the Redhat updates there is an error message coming
up about the file manager not being compatible with gnome.  Is that
something that might be causing my troubles?  I have't installed any
file managers different than what Redhat supplied.

Thanks again.

Floyd