Some mail handler questions -not specifically linux

deadpoint deadpoint at adelphia.net
Mon Feb 10 19:32:17 EST 2003

terra.ptroc.rpa.net is a mail exchange for the domain rpa.net, which
handles email for bluefrog.biz. from the terminal type nslookup, from
within nslookups's "shell" do set type=MX, then enter a domain name,
bluefrog.biz it should com back with a bunch or Mail Exchangers,
terra.ptroc.rpa.net will be one of them. you are allow to have multiple
MX records for redundancy.

message travel faster for a number of reasons, the path it takes to the
ISP, how the ISP has there mail system configured, etc. i see the same
thing happen when messages are sent to my adelphia account, which makes
me wonder how they have things configured, from all accounts they have
things configured poorly.

if you'd like to see the possible path's that an email may take to reach
a certain server from a terminal do traceroute www.nflug.org. each hop
is a router that you pass through for that session. messages bounce
around the net in the same manner. i once sent a message to myself from
a place i use to work at, i didn't recieve the message to 5 to 6 months.
i'd like to have that one explained.

darin