website forums (was: Web Space Help)

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Mon Dec 22 20:57:59 EST 2003

Personally,

   Forums and websites are much easier to maintain, and go back to for
reference.  With the odd mailing glitches (I've seen one of my emails go
thru but not 2 others I sent beforehand), etc, I'm partial to web.
Websites down, nothing can get lost but tempers (unless the reason for
the downtime is not loss of net connection, but bad HD's in the server).

-- shameless plug --

   I've offered webspace for NFLUG in the past, and even have majordomo up
and running.  After the first of the year, I'll be utilizing Mailman,
which in my humble opinion, is turning out to be much better and more
robust than majordomo, not to mention, more up to date and also has a
decent web interface. Also my system I'm willing to open up to others in
the group who would also maintain potential NFLUG info, provided some
security is in place, I usually like ident and a static IP for ssh/ftp
access.  My box had over 300days uptime until I rebooted for the recent
kernel patch, and is connected to a multihomed network and an OC48, with
DS3's connected to both Sprint and Qwest.  It's open for NFLUG's use, all
anyone has to do is say the word.

   I offer my services, either as a helper to maintain the website, mailing
lists, and/or just to be the provider of services.  I'll donate my
systems resources and my personal time if wanted.  If not, I'm still
willing to offer my services and have others manage the site/email.  The
box runs it's own DNS (another box of mine does secondary DNS), email,
listserv, and web.

-- end shameless plug --

   I know this has been talked over before, but it seems to go around and
around, and maybe someone has a copy of meeting minutes or email, but has
anyone come to a conclusion?  You can go custom made website, or fully
managed CMS' like php-nuke, myphpnuke, phpwebsite, postnuke, etc. Many
LUG's have online communities, such as another local one which I watch on
the web frequently: http://swny.net/lug/

   I still manage to write novel's ;'-(

  - Tony