Quick survey

Robert Dege rdege at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sun Dec 21 16:51:08 EST 2003

Okay, let's be reasonable here.  Running a GUI is not a calling to
hackers.  XFree only opens a single port (xfs), which can be deactivated
if you properly modify the XF86Config file.  And I'm not aware of what
ports Gnome, or KDE open to run correctly, so don't bother with the
battle.  Portmapper, NFS, and NIS is more of a calling than your GUI.

Next, so long as you're running init3 on boot, you're not even accessing
xdm, which means having it installed does nothing.  The only bad thing is
that by default the xfs daemon is started via init.d.

I personally, so not use GUI's on any of our servers at work.  However, I
do install the XFree86 package, and libs for the use of xauth (which ties
in with openssh), and to allow remote Xapp usage over openssh.

The only downfall of GUI is (1) it's wasted on servers becuase of the ease
of remote administration via telnet/ftp/ssh/sftp/etc.  (2) wastes
CPU/memory (XFree is a pig) (3) depending how X is configured it might
load drm modules.

-Rob

> WTF any server with an GUI is a calling to hackers. Why in gods name
> would you use a rpm on a server when using ./configure and make lets you
> do a custom job on the install to make it how YOU the sysadmin wants it
> not how RH Or Fedora preset it. But this is my opion and I did that
> survey
>
> Later
> Josh

Dege

I'm just not up2date on my al-kee-hol-*hic* lingo
Although, I do have that slurring part down ;)