Kernel Patching

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Sun Dec 7 13:54:29 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 12:40, Frank Kumro wrote:
> I just patched my kernel to version 2.4.23 from the default version in
> slackware 9.1 of 2.4.22 - Correct me if im wrong but shouldnt uname -r
> return 2.4.23 not 2.4.22?

Yes, assuming you rebooted, assuming GRUB or LILO was updated to point
to the NEW kernel.

I'm not familiar with Slackware, but sounds like you used an automated
update utility? Those, well at least Redhat/Fedora's, also fix GRUB and
LILO after updating the kernel.

I would check to see which kernel GRUB or LILO is using.

GRUB: /boot/grub/grub.conf

LILO: (think config file is in /etc , been a while since I used it)

Also have to issue the command "lilo" after you make changes to lilo
configuration file to make them active. Not so with grub.

KEG